Friday, September 13, 2013

Perfect Attendance!

Every day we had perfect attendance because no one was gone. -Karys
Today we did Word Work. That was part of Daily 5. We had Music. Mr. Chan always tries trick us to do the wrong stuff. -Cole
Today we had Library. We got to pick books. We all remembered our books. -Nick
Today we went to Mrs. Kosolowski's room because we went to do surveys. Some of us didn't get to finish. We did TWAS and our homework is to do a survey with our family and other people that come by. -Cali
We wrote a piece of paper called TWAS. I wrote about going to the book fair and open house and gym. -Issabella

It has been a GREAT first full week of school! Like Karys said, we've had perfect attendance since the very first day and that is AWESOME! I am enjoying getting to know all of the new children in my room, and I am feeling very greatful toward the students that are in my class for the second year in a row. They have been a tremendous help in showing their new classmates where things go, how our routines work, and what my expectations are. This is one of the things that I love most about teaching a combined grade classroom. Each year I love to watch my second year students step up to the challenge of being a leader and doing what their former classmates did for them. I seen huge differences in confidence in these children already this year. It's amazing!

This week we introduced the new students in our classroom to the "Brain Game". (It's actually called "Cranium Brain Breaks: 200 One-Minute Mini Games"... the box looks like a big purple brain.) We've played a few of them as a whole group this week. Most of the games that work for a large group are word games. They are a great way to get kids thinking about words and letter sounds, and they're a whole lot of fun. Today at the end of the day, we played a game where everyone had to answer this question:
 

If you could dive into a pool filled with something other than water, what would you dive in to?

Some of our answers were gummy worms, whipping cream, ice cream, mud, spaghetti and meatballs, and jello. After a great first full week, I think I would dive into a pool of feather pillows. Good night Room 9!
-Ms. Clarke

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Room 9!
I love all of your creative answers to what type of pool to jump into! I think I would love to jump into a pool of coffee.... then I can stay warm, still swim, and drink some too!
Thanks for sharing part of your day!
From Mrs. Oddy